This in a single day French toast casserole recipe is the right breakfast for a crowd! It is easy and scrumptious, with a crisp topping and custardy center.
This French toast casserole recipe is the best option to make French toast for a crowd. As an alternative of standing on the range, flipping slices to order, you pile cubed bread right into a casserole dish, douse it in a wealthy, cinnamon-spiced custard, and bake it with pecans and brown sugar on high. It’s a breeze to assemble on the morning you propose to serve it, however if you wish to streamline this French toast casserole recipe much more, you’ll be able to put it collectively the day earlier than and let it sit in a single day within the fridge. The following morning, all you need to do is add the nutty topping, pop it within the oven, and bake!
When it comes out of the oven, this French toast casserole is crisp on high and moist and custardy within the center, form of like a breakfast bread pudding. Topped with a giant drizzle of maple syrup, it’s simply pretty much as good as traditional French toast, if not higher. I hope you find it irresistible!
French Toast Casserole Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this straightforward French toast casserole recipe:
- Bread – The standard counts! Go for loaf of challah, brioche, French bread, or sourdough bread, and let it sit on the counter for a day earlier than making this French toast casserole. The dry, day-old bread will take in the eggy custard extra simply than contemporary bread will. No matter you do, avoid pre-sliced sandwich bread, which rapidly turns into soggy.
- Eggs – A signature French toast ingredient! They add richness and bind the bread cubes collectively.
- Almond milk – For moisture. I exploit almond milk as a result of it’s what I hold readily available, however be happy to make use of one other kind of milk for those who choose. For instance, complete milk and oat milk would each be nice.
- Brown sugar – You’ll whisk some into the custard combination and sprinkle extra on high of the casserole.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract – For heat, cozy depth of taste.
- Butter or coconut oil – It helps the highest of the French toast casserole crisp up within the oven.
- Pecans – They add wealthy, nutty crunch.
- Sea salt – It makes all of the flavors pop.
- And maple syrup – For serving.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Make In a single day French Toast Casserole
This baked French toast casserole recipe is very easy to make!
Be sure that to purchase your bread a day or two upfront. When it dries out barely, it soaks up the custard combination extra simply, which makes the casserole even moister(!) and softer within the center. Lower it into 1-inch cubes if you’re able to assemble the casserole and layer them in a greased 9×13-inch pan.
Then, make the custard combination. Whisk collectively the eggs, almond milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt.
Subsequent, pour the egg combination over the bread. Attempt to pour it as evenly as attainable, moistening as a lot of the bread as you’ll be able to. Just a few dry spots are okay–they get good and crispy within the oven!
When you’re making this French toast casserole recipe forward, cowl it with foil, plastic wrap, or a lid and refrigerate it in a single day. When you’re making it day-of, let it stand for half-hour at room temperature. Each choices give the bread an opportunity to melt and take in the wealthy egg combination.
Then, bake. Drizzle the melted butter over the breakfast casserole and sprinkle on the brown sugar and pecan topping. Cowl and bake for 35 minutes at 350°F, then uncover and bake for an additional 10 to twenty minutes, or till the topping is browned and the egg combination has largely set.
Take away the casserole from the oven, cowl it loosely with foil, and let it stand for 10 minutes earlier than digging in. Get pleasure from!
What to Serve with French Toast Casserole
Don’t skip the maple syrup! Whereas some French toast casserole recipes are very candy on their very own, I make this one a bit of savory in order that it goes effectively with maple syrup. I really like the candy maple taste with the toasted pecans and heat spices. I don’t suggest skipping it. If you wish to costume up this French toast casserole much more, high it with a dusting of powdered sugar and contemporary fruit along with the maple. Banana slices, pomegranate seeds, and contemporary berries like strawberries or raspberries would all be nice.
This French toast casserole recipe is ideal for particular events like Christmas morning, however it will even be at residence at any weekend brunch. Pair it with one thing savory, like a frittata or scrambled eggs, and contemporary fruit. Don’t neglect the espresso, tea, or mimosas to drink!
This recipe is finest on the day it’s made, however leftovers will hold effectively in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat within the microwave, or cowl and warmth in a 325°F oven till warmed via.
Extra Favourite Brunch Recipes
When you love this French toast casserole recipe, attempt one in all these scrumptious brunch recipes subsequent:
French Toast Casserole
Serves 8 to 12
This French toast casserole recipe is a scrumptious, straightforward breakfast or brunch! It has a crisp brown sugar topping and a moist, custardy center. To get forward, assemble it the night time earlier than and bake the subsequent morning. Serve with maple syrup!
- Unsalted butter or coconut oil, for the pan
- 1 loaf challah bread, about 1½ kilos, 1 or 2 days outdated, reduce into 1-inch cubes
- 5 massive eggs
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk, or any milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Maple syrup, for serving
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
Grease a 9×13-inch or related baking dish. Place the bread cubes within the baking dish.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour the combination evenly over the bread. If making the casserole forward, cowl the baking dish and refrigerate in a single day. In any other case, let stand for half-hour at room temperature to permit the bread to take in the egg combination.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Add the topping: Drizzle the casserole with the butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar and pecans. Cowl and bake for 35 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 10 to twenty minutes, or till the topping is browned and the egg combination has largely set. Take away from the oven, cowl loosely with foil, and let stand for 10 minutes.
Serve with maple syrup.